This slow cooker chicken parmesan is wonderful! While I love my slow cooker, it can sometimes overcook foods if you’re not careful. In this case, the chicken is amazing! It’s tender and cooked through without being dry, and my whole family loved it. I hope yours does as well!
Plan on about fifteen minutes to get everything assembled and into the slow cooker, then another 20 minutes before dinner to make your pasta, and a nice side salad if you’d like!
- Boneless chicken breasts, four
- Egg, one
- Bread crumbs (can use gluten free), 1/2 cup
- Grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper, 1/2 t each
- Garlic powder, 1/2 t
- Italian seasoning, 1 t (or 1/2 t oregano and 1/2 basil)
- Olive oil, 1 T
- Marinara, your family’s favorite, one jar, approximately 25 oz
- Pasta, your family’s favorite, 16 oz box uncooked
- Cut the chicken breasts into two-bite sizes, around two inches by two inches each.
- Spread the olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Set up your breading station:
- One egg, slightly beaten, in one bowl
- The bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning, blended well, in a larger bowl
- Your chicken on a plate
- With clean hands, dip each chicken piece into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture. You’ll want to turn each piece a couple times to get it nicely coated.
- Place each chicken piece in the bottom of the slow cooker. It’s okay if they overlap, but begin by spreading them all out and covering the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the marinara over the chicken, covering it with a spatula if needed.
- Bake on low 4 to 6 hours. Check around 4 hours and if the chicken falls apart when you poke with a fork, it’s done. Turn the slow cooker to warm until dinner time.
- Prepare pasta, serve over pasta.
I love to make chicken parmesan for my runners on a Friday night during cross country season!
I am curious: do you have any favorite pre-event meals for your kids?
Make it a yummy day!